The Keys to Better Painting – FEB 2020
This class on four consecutive Thursdays will focus on key solutions to issues that many artists struggle with, including mixing clean color, seeing light and dark values correctly, and designing interesting compositions. In an intense but fun and non-competitive environment, Armand will guide each student individually to improve their work regardless of their painting experience. This class is open to both oil and acrylic painters. All levels of ability are welcome.
We will work on at least one painting per session. You will need the following:
- Paints (see paint colors for oils and acrylics below)
- Reference material. Bring small sketches or photographs you have shot yourself. Please do not bring photos taken by someone else or taken from publications or the internet.
- Canvases. Four blank canvases, no smaller than 8″ x 10″ and no larger than 16″ x 20″. Bring one per session.
- Brushes. Long-handled synthetic flats in sizes 4, 6, 10, 12, one or two of each size. I have switched to animal-friendly synthetic brushes for all my painting needs and recommend Princeton Catalyst Polytip Synthetic Bristle Brushes, available from online retailers.
- Palette. Your palette should be made of glass, plastic or wood. No paper palettes–a good palette is key to learning to mix color properly.
- Solvent (oil painters only). If you use solvent, you must use Gamblin Gamsol. Because of allergies and other health issues, we cannot allow other mineral spirits or turpentine in the studio. Other solvents are inferior and have an odor.
- Medium (acrylic painters only). Slow Dry medium to slow the drying time of your paints.
- Miscellaneous. Wet painting carrier, paper towels, paint scraper, and garbage bags, stainless steel leak-proof brush washer (for oil painters) OR two water containers at least quart size (for acrylic painters).
Paint Colors to Bring
OIL PAINTERS: Winsor Newton Artist grade paints: Titanium White, Lemon Yellow, Cadmium Yellow Medium, Cadmium Red light, Permanent Alizarin Crimson, Cobalt Blue, French Ultramarine Blue, Viridian, Ivory Black
ACRYLIC PAINTERS: Winsor Newton Artist grade paints: Titanium White, Cadmium Yellow Lemon, Cadmium Yellow Light, Cadmium Red Light, Permanent Alizarin Crimson, Cobalt Blue, Ultramarine Blue, Cobalt Green Deep, Ivory Black.
This class consists of four sessions: Thursdays from 1:00-5:00 PM on February 6, 13, 20, and 27. Limited to 10 students.
Please note: This class is structured to help individual students wherever they are in their painting journey. If seats are available, you may attend individual sessions ad hoc for $50 per session, payable directly to the instructor on the date you attend. To arrange ad hoc attendance, please contact Armand’s agent Diane Burket, who manages his schedule.