Carole specializes in works featuring companion animals, rural life, and the land. She is widely known for her realistic pet portraits. She paints mostly in watercolor and gouache but also dabbles in a variety of other mediums. She is also an avid plein air painter and on-location sketcher. She manages the Gallery 3 Teaching Studio and loves to teach, offering artists at all levels practical guidance and friendly nurturing to help them be their creative best.
- Classes and workshops. See the schedule of events to sign up for my available classes and workshops.
- Studio lessons in the classroom. You get personal mentoring in art foundations (e.g., value, color, composition), drawing, watercolor/gouache techniques, or painting development process. Can be taught in an ad hoc manner or with a more structured curriculum, as you prefer. Scheduled when mutually convenient (depending on classroom availability). Duration: 2.5 to 3 hours. $100 per session with a 50% discount every fourth session for the same student.
- Plein air painting/sketching lessons on location in Rappahannock County or Shenandoah National Park for beginners. You get personal mentoring in the use of outdoor sketching/painting gear, dealing with “on location” challenges, and process and techniques for watercolor/gouache/ink painting or sketching “in the wild”. Scheduled when mutually convenient. Duration: 3 hours. $150 for up to two people.
- Personalized critiques with digital paint-overs for one work of art. We’ll discuss your goals, challenges, and questions about the work as well as identify foundational concepts where it is strongest or could be stronger. On a digital image of your work, I’ll digitally paint over the piece to demonstrate approaches that make for a stronger painting. You’ll receive by email a written summary of my comments and the digital paintover. Can be done one-on-one in the classroom or via online chat, phone, or email as you prefer. Duration: 30-45 minutes. $50 per session.
For lessons, critiques, or art parties, contact me about rates and to schedule dates. Payment is due the day of the scheduled activity; cash, credit cards, or checks accepted.
My Personal Refund Policy
Refund requests for my classes or workshops received more than two weeks prior to the start date will be issued subject to a 15% service fee. Refund requests received within two weeks of the class or workshop will be issued subject to a 30% service fee. In either situation, the balance will be issued in the form of a discount code that can applied within six months to the registration fee of any of my other classes or workshops, or a private lesson or personalized critique. If you have questions about my policy, please get in touch.
- Phone: 540.987.8566
- Central Virginia Watercolor Guild
- Firnew Farm Artists’ Circle